HARRISBURG, PA - Permits that hunters can use to take additional antlerless deer within areas of Pennsylvania affected by Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) remain available, though permits for some locations nearly are sold out.

When CWD is detected in Pennsylvania in captive or free-ranging deer, the Pennsylvania Game Commission includes the area surrounding the detection site within a Disease Management Area (DMA). And within those DMAs, the agency uses the Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP) to reduce CWD infection rates and increase disease surveillance.

DMAP isn’t used within DMAs exclusively. It is a statewide program that uses hunting to help public and private landowners meet deer-management goals on their properties. This is accomplished through DMAP permits hunters can use to harvest antlerless deer. A hunter may purchase up to two DMAP permits for each DMAP unit, and each permit can be used to take one antlerless deer.

Twenty-one DMAP units have been established in the state’s three active DMAs – DMA 2 in southcentral Pennsylvania, DMA 3 in northcentral Pennsylvania and DMA 4 in southeastern Pennsylvania. In a few of those units, 80 percent or more of the permits allocated have been sold. But permits remain available in all units, and some units have many permits available.

For hunters, DMAP permits not only provide additional opportunity to take antlerless deer, they can be used in any established deer season. For example, in the first six days of the firearms deer season, when most Pennsylvania hunters can harvest only antlered deer, hunters with DMAP permits may harvest antlerless deer in the DMAP unit for which their permit was issued.

Hunters are cautioned, however, that within DMAs, DMAP units might contain a mix of public and private land and, as is always the case, hunters must secure landowner permission before hunting on private land.

DMAP permits cost $10.90 each and are available at any license issuing agent or through The Outdoor ShopOpens In A New Window. Because DMAP permits contain harvest ear tags and must be in possession while hunting, hunters wishing to use their permits soon after purchase are encouraged to buy them from an issuing agent since permits bought online are sent by mail.

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!

Thank you for reading!

Please log in, or sign up for a new account and purchase a subscription to read or post comments.