Images sourced from the Library of Congress
Pittsburgh Steel Company’s No. 1 and No. 2 Blast Furnaces were blown in in 1913, in a vast complex on Donner Avenue in Monessen. According to blueprints, they were nearly identical in design and capacity at the time of construction, and reached 79 feet in height. Blast Furnace No. 3 was blown-in in 1948 and known as “Jane.” It was much larger than the first two, and allowed for a daily production of 2,200 tons of iron, which was more than twice that of No. 1 and No. 2. It was also part of the Monessen Works on Donner Avenue.