Generic Police Car

A Carmichaels man was charged with stalking and harassment after what police said was months of messaging a Morgan Township woman, who blocked his social media accounts at least 10 times.

Evan Raymond Hopton, 28, of 410 Ceylon Road, had known the alleged victim in high school, but reconnected last year through social media, according to state police. The woman told police that she never had “any sort of romantic” relationship with Hopton and that the nature of his constant messages started to cause her “emotional distress.”

Police said that on June 29, she blocked him on Facebook and deleted all of his messages. He allegedly had another person contact her to tell her he was in the hospital and needed to talk to her, according to the criminal complaint.

The woman told police that she temporarily unblocked Hopton to tell him to stop using other people to contact her. She showed police messages he allegedly sent her from June 27 to July 5. He allegedly messaged her “you’re gross,” “you’re my little princess,” and “you’re beautiful,” along with calling her sexist slurs, the criminal complaint said.

Police said the woman’s responses told Hopton to stop several times, saying “Get out of my life,” and “I’m literally begging you to leave me alone.”

He started tagging her in posts on Twitter and used several different accounts to harass her, police said. She told police she had to block “at least nine” Twitter accounts that were purporting to be Hopton.

One of the messages he sent said, “You’re going to regret that,” the criminal complaint said. When the woman asked Hopton if that was a threat, he allegedly replied “yes,” the complaint said.

About 10:43 p.m. July 4, she responded to his messages saying, “I am not asking you anymore. This is no longer a request,” the criminal complaint said. But Hopton reportedly continued to send her sexually harassing messages, so the next day, the woman went to the police.

While she was being interviewed by police, about 7 p.m. July 5, Hopton reportedly sent her another message on Twitter asking her to message him.

When police interviewed Hopton July 8, he allegedly told police that he had only messaged the woman to apologize to her, that he didn’t mean to scare her, and that he planned to stop once police got involved. He allegedly told police that the woman “was easily scared and took things out of context.”

Police charged Hopton with stalking and harassment, both misdemeanors, and told him to stop contacting the woman. Police said that Hopton “repeatedly” asked police if the charges would be dropped if the woman "failed to show up for the hearing.”

Hopton was arraigned by District Judge David Balint and released on a $3,000 bond. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. July 23.

See what people are talking about at The Community Table!

Thank you for reading!

Please purchase a subscription to continue reading. If you have a subscription, please Log In.