Baseball: Quite a Day for Chartiers-Houston
Tyler Day hit a walk-off RBI-double that scored Doug Dinardo in the bottom of the seventh inning Wednesday to give Chartiers-Houston a 4-3 victory over Brownsville in a Section 2-AA game.
Brownsville (0-1, 3-1) broke a 2-2 tie with a run in the top of the seventh inning.
Dylan Pounds pitched the seventh and got the win for the Bucs (1-0, 3-2). Kyle Johnston had a double.
• Jason Dotts had a double, two singles, scored a run and drove in five to pace Jefferson-Morgan to a 10-0, six-inning victory over Monessen in a non-section game.
Winning pitcher Austin Clark doubled, singled and scored three times for the Rockets (1-1). Clark struck out four, walked one and allowed just two hits.
Monessen fell to 1-2.
• Bentworth scored 11 runs over the fifth and sixth innings to take a 13-3 victory from Charleroi in a Section 2-AA game.
Adam Bell doubled and Trevor Wood went 2-for-3 and drove in two runs for the Bearcats (1-0, 2-0). Charleroi fell to 1-3, including 0-1 in the section.
• Jordan Mooney went 3-for-3 and drove in five runs to power Washington to a 15-0 victory over Beth-Center in four innings in a Section 2-AA game.
Jaylin Kelly doubled, singled and drove in three for the Prexies (1-0, 1-0). Jonathan Spina tossed a two-hitter over four innings and drove in three runs.
Beth-Center fell to 0-2, 0-1 in the section.
• Koltan Kobrys hit a two-run homer and winning pitcher Matt Heslin had three hits as Fort Cherry opened its season with a 7-3 victory over visiting Burgettstown in a Section 2-AA game.
Heslin went 3-for-3 with a double and combined with relievers Kobrys and Kyle Witzberger on a three-hitter. Witzberger also had three hits.
Burgettstown is 0-1.
• Josh Mundell and Ryan Zlara combined for six RBI as Carmichaels defeated visiting Waynesburg 9-5 in a non-section game.
Mundell went 2-for-4 with a triple and three RBI, and Zalar went 2-for-4 with a double and three RBi to help the Mikes improve their record to 2-0.
Winning pitcher Cory Fuller and reliever Brandon Lawless combined on a fourh-itter. Fuller struck out six in five innings.
Losing pitcher Colton Lippencott tripled for Waynesburg (0-1).
• California used a pair of four-run innings to defeat host Mt. Pleasant 8-3 in a non-section game.
Winning pitcher Josh Luko threw five innings and combined with reliever Ronnie Baron on a five-hitter. Lukeo helped his cause with a double, and Chris Swartz had a run-scoring double in the Trojans’ third inning that gave Cal an 8-0 lead.
The Trojans are 5-2. Mt. Pleasant dropped to 2-2.
• Zach Byczynski hit a grand slam, and Billy Morris had a home run and four RBI, as Ringgold improved to 2-0 with a 16-5 win at Albert Gallatin.
Nick Maciejewski earned the piching win after striking out seven and walking nine. Mike Cramer added a double for the Rams.