Baseball: Carcella pitches Charleroi past Monessen
Matt Carcella pitched a complete game as Charleroi defeated visiting Monessen 7-2 in a non-section game Monday.
Carcella pitched a seven-hitter, striking out six and isusing only one walk. He helped his own cause with a double, one of eight hits by Charleroi (1-2).
Losing pitcher Justice Rawlins hit a home run for Monessen.
• Brian Fisher pitched six strong innings and California defeated visiting East Allegheny 6-3 in a non-section game at Malden Yards.
Fisher struck out eight and walked only one batter as he combined with reliever Louden Conti on a five-hitter.
Josh Luko sparked a four-run fifth inning with a run-scoring double for Cal (3-2). Michael Luketich also doubled for the Trojans. Adam Jacko had a double for East Allegheny (0-2).
• West Greene scored 10 runs over the first two innings and cruised to a 16-0 four-inning victory over visiting Hundred, W.Va.
Winning pitcher Donnie White struck out seven over three innings as the Pioneers had a combined no-hitter. White also tripled for one of West Greene’s four extra-base hits.
Dalton Wildman also had a triple for the Pioneers (1-1), and Jessie Bensen and Matt Johnston each doubled.
• Tim Fraysier had a two-out, two-run single to lift Avella to a 6-5, season-opening non-section win over Sewickley Academy.
Shawn Carl went 4-for-4 with a double, and Dean Hogdon, Nate Connolly and winning pitcher Santino Paris also doubled for the Eagles (1-0).
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union
- 1Sarris Candies displays "deflategate" chocolate football | Observer-Reporter
- 2Couple surprised by Pa. Revenue Dept. audit letter | Observer-Reporter
- 3Cal U. professor found dead on campus | Observer-Reporter
- 4Greene Co.
- 5Washington County deputy district attorney announces candidacy for district judge | Observer-Reporte