Softball: Carmichaels wins 3rd in Myrtle Beach
Emma Lowry drove in the winning run on an infield single, Regina Menhart threw out a runner to end the game, and the Carmichaels softball team got its third win in four tries at the Cal Ripken Experience in Myrtle Beach, S.C., by defeating Elmwood (Ohio) by a 1-0 score Saturday.
Menhart singled to lead off the top of the fourth inning, and Rachael Hathaway came on as a pinch runner. With two outs and runners on second and third, Lowry poked a single past the diving second baseman.
Menhart made that stand by throwing out a runner at the plate from right field in the bottom of the seventh inning.
Erica Burns earned the pitching win for Carmichaels (4-1) by striking out four and walking none.
• Abrianna Sadler and Nicole Smith combined on a two-hit shutout as Penn Trafford blanked Belle Vernon 6-0 in a non-section game.
Cassie Smzyd had two singles and drove in three runs for Penn Trafford (1-0), and Dani Wally had three hits.
Losing pitcher Lacey Washowich had one of Belle Vernon’s two hits. The Leopards are 0-3.
- 1`Finding Zink´ a success | Observer-Reporter
- 2Avella store robbed at gunpoint | Observer-Reporter
- 3Angel Ridge Animal Rescue, owner cited by state dog warden | Observer-Reporter
- 4Sarris "deflategate" ball to be auctioned for charity | Observer-Reporter
- 5Family´s dog went missing after accident on I-79 | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union