NFL: Cowboys give Romo $108 million extension
ARLINGTON, Texas – Tony Romo has a chance to start for the Dallas Cowboys longer than Roger Staubach or Troy Aikman. The question is whether he will ever match their Super Bowl pedigrees.
Romo signed a six-year contract extension worth $108 million Friday, with about half of that guaranteed to make him the highest-paid player in franchise history.
The agreement, reported on the team’s website, will lower the quarterback’s salary cap number for 2013 by about $5 million, giving the team more room to sign free agents and draft picks.
Romo, who turns 33 next month and was entering the final year of his contract, gets $55 million guaranteed.
Super Bowl winner Joe Flacco got $52 million guaranteed in the six-year, $120.6 million contract he signed with Baltimore earlier this month.
“I think it’s just exciting more than anything that you know you’re going to be here the rest of my career,” Romo said in a video on the team’s website that showed owner Jerry Jones exchanging high-fives with Romo’s nearly 1-year-old son. “We’re a team on the rise and I think it’s going to show here going forward.”
Romo could be with Dallas through 2019, giving him a chance to be the starter longer than the 11 seasons of Aikman and seven of Staubach, who was a part-time starter his first four years with the Cowboys.
Aikman and Staubach won five Super Bowls between them, while Romo has just one playoff win in six full seasons as the starter. He had a gut-wrenching playoff loss the year he took over midseason in 2006, flubbing the hold after driving the Cowboys into position for the go-ahead field goal in the final minutes.
Romo alluded to changes “behind the scenes” in the interview on the team’s website, and Jones said in a statement that his quarterback will have “a significant level of input and contribution to the planning and implementing of our offensive approach – both in the meeting room and on the field.”
Hall of Famer sues ex-employer: Former Detroit Lions great and Hall of Famer Lem Barney filed a discrimination lawsuit Friday against a Detroit health system, alleging he was fired because of his age.
Barney, a defensive back with the Lions in the 1960s and ’70s, alleges that his supervisor at Detroit Medical Center once asked him, “why don’t you just retire already?” after noting he was in his 60s and made a lot of money playing professional football. The 67-year-old also said he was fired after running afoul of a supervisor by signing too many autographs for fans.
McCown staying with Bears: The Chicago Bears re-signed backup quarterback Josh McCown, agreeing to a one-year contract.
The 33-year-old McCown finished the last two years with the Bears, joining them each season in November after starter Jay Cutler was injured.
In 10 NFL seasons with Arizona, Detroit, Oakland, Carolina and Chicago, he has started 33 of 50 games and completed 645 passes for 6,998 yards and 37 touchdowns.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union
- 1Charges held for court in shaken baby case | Observer-Reporter
- 2Couple surprised by Pa. Revenue Dept. audit letter | Observer-Reporter
- 3Sarris Candies displays "deflategate" chocolate football | Observer-Reporter
- 4Troubled Fredericktown water authority needs a costly fix | Observer-Reporter
- 5Washington County deputy district attorney announces candidacy for district judge | Observer-Reporte