Baldwin gives $2,500 to R.I. high school chess team
CENTRAL FALLS, R.I. (AP) – Actor Alec Baldwin has donated $2,500 to help the chess team at Central Falls High School in Rhode Island defray the cost of traveling to a national tournament next month.
The city of Central Falls has made national news because of financial problems, and the news coverage previously caught Baldwin’s attention. Baldwin also contributed $10,000 two years ago to the Central Falls library to help it reopen after it was forced to close because of money problems. The city emerged from bankruptcy last year.
WLNE-TV reports the chess team needs $8,000 to fund the trip to the national chess tournament in Tennessee. The team has competed in the national tournament six times.
- 1Parents of toddler will head to court | Observer-Reporter
- 2Drivers advised to adhere to speed limit on I-70 | Observer-Reporter
- 3Eighty Four's Ross Farm included in 'crowd-funded' Super Bowl beer ad | Observer-Reporter
- 4Washington police officer suspended without pay | Observer-Reporter
- 5Charges held for court in shaken baby case | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union