Strange, that in a society so enamored with guns and with movies, TV shows and video games that celebrate violence, we should expect 5- and 6-year-olds to somehow be above it all.
The latest evidence of insane zero-tolerance enforcement was detailed in a front-page article in the Observer-Reporter Tuesday. Among the examples was a kindergarten student from Maryland who was suspended for pretending his hand was a gun during recess. We’re surprised that the principal did not overreact even more and call out the SWAT team. From a bullhorn: “Lower your hand slowly and step away from the jungle gym!”
We hope our local school authorities are better at recognizing normal play and can act with more common sense.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union
- 1Sarris Candies displays "deflategate" chocolate football | Observer-Reporter
- 2Angel Ridge Animal Rescue cited for inhumane conditions | Observer-Reporter
- 3Charges held for court in shaken baby case | Observer-Reporter
- 4Retired Consol worker wins religious discrimination suit | Observer-Reporter
- 5Charges held for court in shaken baby case | Observer-Reporter