Grandmother charged with abusing 5-year-old
A Speers woman is free on $100,000 bond after being arrested Thursday for allegedly abusing her 5-year-old grandson and tying him to a bed with zip ties.
Carmen Alexander, 45, of 253 Davidson Drive, faces charges of aggravated assault, simple assault, reckless endangerment and unlawful restraint filed by Charleroi regional police.
Police were notified by a CYS of a possible assault on a child Wednesday. They went to Alexander’s home, and found the child had bruises, scratches and scars “from head to toe” and a lump on his forehead, according to an affidavit. The child told police that Alexander struck him in the hand with a hammer as a punishment and bound his wrists to the bedpost with a plastic zip tie. The child had bite marks from attempting to free himself.
The boy was taken to Monongahela Valley Hospital for treatment.
Read more in tomorrow’s Observer-Reporter
- 1Moninger - 107 years | Observer-Reporter
- 2Cal U. president's residence renovated to last | Observer-Reporter
- 3Drivers advised to adhere to speed limit on I-70 | Observer-Reporter
- 4Eighty Four's Ross Farm included in 'crowd-funded' Super Bowl beer ad | Observer-Reporter
- 5Parents of toddler will head to court | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union